Truck accidents are among the most devastating types of motor vehicle collisions. They can cause serious injuries, property damage, and even death.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), there were 4,119 fatalities and 159,000 injuries in crashes involving large trucks in 20191.
If you have been involved in a truck accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
However, pursuing a truck accident claim is not easy. You need a lawyer who has the experience, knowledge, and skills to handle the complex issues that arise in trucking cases.
Why You Need a Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accidents are different from car accidents in many ways. Some of the factors that make trucking cases more complicated are:
- Multiple parties: Unlike car accidents, where the driver is usually the only liable party, truck accidents may involve several parties who share responsibility for the crash. These may include the truck driver, the trucking company, the truck owner, the cargo owner, the truck manufacturer, the maintenance provider, and the insurance companies. Each party may have their own lawyers and adjusters who will try to minimize their liability and shift the blame to others.
- Multiple laws and regulations: Trucks are subject to various federal and state laws and regulations that govern their operation, maintenance, inspection, loading, and driver qualifications. These laws and regulations are designed to ensure the safety of the truck drivers and the public. However, some truck drivers and companies may violate these rules to save time and money, putting others at risk. A truck accident lawyer can investigate the truck driver’s logbooks, the truck’s black box, the truck’s maintenance records, and other evidence to determine if any violations occurred and how they contributed to the crash.
- Multiple sources of evidence: Truck accidents often leave behind a lot of evidence that can help prove the cause and extent of the crash. However, some of this evidence may be lost, destroyed, or tampered with by the trucking company or other parties. A truck accident lawyer can act quickly to preserve and collect the evidence before it is gone. This may include the truck itself, the truck’s electronic data recorder, the truck driver’s cell phone records, the truck’s GPS data, the truck’s dashcam footage, the truck’s cargo manifest, the police reports, the witness statements, the medical records, and the accident scene photos and videos.
- Multiple types of damages: Truck accidents can cause severe and lasting injuries that require extensive and costly medical treatment. Some of the common injuries suffered by truck accident victims are traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, broken bones, internal organ damage, burns, amputations, and disfigurement. In addition to the physical and emotional pain, truck accident victims may also face financial hardships due to their inability to work and earn income. A truck accident lawyer can help you recover the full and fair compensation that you deserve for your economic and non-economic damages.
How to Choose the Best Truck Accident Lawyer for Your Case
Finding the right truck accident lawyer for your case is crucial for your success. You want a lawyer who has the experience, reputation, and resources to handle your case effectively and efficiently.
Here are some tips on how to choose the best truck accident lawyer for your case:
- Do your research: You can start by searching online for truck accident lawyers in your area. You can use websites like Super Lawyers or Forbes Advisor to find the top-rated truck accident lawyers in your city. You can also ask for referrals from your friends, family, or colleagues who have been in a similar situation. You can also check the lawyer’s website, social media, and online reviews to learn more about their background, credentials, and achievements.
- Schedule a consultation: Once you have a list of potential truck accident lawyers, you should contact them and schedule a free consultation. This is an opportunity for you to meet the lawyer in person, ask them questions, and evaluate their suitability for your case. Some of the questions you should ask are:
- How long have you been practicing truck accident law?
- How many truck accident cases have you handled and what were the outcomes?
- How familiar are you with the trucking laws and regulations that apply to my case?
- How will you investigate and prove the liability and damages in my case?
- How will you communicate with me and keep me updated on the progress of my case?
- How do you charge for your services and what are the costs involved?
- How long do you expect my case to take and what are the potential challenges or risks?
- Compare and choose: After you have met with several truck accident lawyers, you should compare them and choose the one that best fits your needs and expectations. You should consider the following factors:
- Experience: You want a lawyer who has handled many truck accident cases similar to yours and has a track record of success. You also want a lawyer who has trial experience and is not afraid to take your case to court if necessary.
- Reputation: You want a lawyer who has a good reputation in the legal community and among their peers and clients. You also want a lawyer who is respected by the trucking companies and their insurers and who can negotiate effectively on your behalf.
- Resources: You want a lawyer who has the resources to handle your case properly and thoroughly. This includes having a team of experts, investigators, paralegals, and support staff who can assist with your case. You also want a lawyer who has the financial ability to advance the costs of your case and who works on a contingency fee basis, meaning that you only pay them if they win your case.
- Communication: You want a lawyer who is responsive, attentive, and honest with you. You also want a lawyer who listens to your concerns, answers your questions, and explains your options clearly and realistically. You also want a lawyer who keeps you informed of the status of your case and who is available to talk to you whenever you need them.
Examples of Truck Accident Lawyers
To help you with your search, here are some examples of truck accident lawyers who have proven themselves to be among the best in their field. These are based on the information from Forbes Advisor and Munley Law, two reputable sources of truck accident lawyer reviews.
- Pat James Crispi: Pat James Crispi is a partner at Keogh Crispi, P.C., a personal injury law firm in New York City. He has over 30 years of experience in handling truck accident cases and has obtained millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements for his clients. He is a board-certified civil trial advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. He is also recognized by Super Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, and The American Society of Legal Advocates as one of the top truck accident lawyers in New York. You can contact him at [Keogh Crispi, P.C.] or call (212) 818-0600 for a free consultation.
- Shana De Caro: Shana De Caro is a partner at De Caro & Kaplen, LLP, a personal injury law firm in Pleasantville, New York. She has over 35 years of experience in representing truck accident victims and their families and has achieved numerous multimillion-dollar recoveries for her clients. She is a board-certified civil trial advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and a past chair of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group. She is also recognized by Super Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, and The Best Lawyers in America as one of the leading truck accident lawyers in New York. You can contact her at [De Caro & Kaplen, LLP] or call (914) 747-4410 for a free consultation.
- Bruce J. Gitlin: Bruce J. Gitlin is a partner at The Gitlin Law Firm, P.C., a personal injury law firm in Garden City, New York. He has over 25 years of experience in handling truck accident cases and has recovered millions of dollars for his clients. He is a board-certified civil trial specialist by the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification and a member of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association and the New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers. He is also recognized by Super Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, and The American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys as one of the top truck accident lawyers in New York. You can contact him at [The Gitlin Law Firm, P.C.] or call (516) 683-0100 for a free consultation.
- Melisande Hill: Melisande Hill is a partner at Hill & Moin, LLP, a personal injury law firm in New York City. She has over 20 years of experience in representing truck accident victims and their families and has obtained numerous multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements for a settlement or a verdict. The percentage may vary depending on the lawyer and the case, but it is usually between 25% and 40%. You may also have to pay for the costs and expenses that the lawyer incurred for your case, such as filing fees, expert fees, and medical records. These costs and expenses may be deducted from your recovery before or after the lawyer’s fee is calculated.
Truck accidents can have devastating consequences for the victims and their families. If you have been injured in a truck accident, you need a lawyer who can help you get the justice and compensation that you deserve. A truck accident lawyer can provide you with legal advice and guidance, investigate and prove your case, negotiate and litigate on your behalf, and work on a contingency fee basis. To find the best truck accident lawyer for your case, you should do your research, schedule a consultation, compare and choose, and contact and hire the lawyer. You can also use the examples and the comparison table provided in this article to help you with your search.